Friday, May 16, 2014

It's Time


This quote hits me right in the heart. Nick Miller and I are sometimes far too similar for comfort, but somehow his weird fictitious existence gives me hope. I think it can be traced to the fact that if there is a character written like this, it means the writer is, was, or knew someone that inspired him. You write what you know. 

If penguins are black and white TVs, I am Nick Miller. Sure the comparison is skewed and this clearly can't be 100% accurate, but there are people in their late 20's-early 30's who are just as unsure and messy as me. 

I'm not alone. 

This also means you're not alone. 

I say we take heart in this. I say we realize that even if we feel like late bloomers or losers, we aren't. No, we are denizens of greatness (to quote Elizabethtown), and just because we haven't yet figured out how/where to grow roots doesn't mean we'll always be gypsies or wanderers. We're walking towards home. We're following the pillar of fire through these nights in the desert. 

I think it's time we figure out what is worth packing and what should be left behind. We're intrepid explorers of this world; it is best to travel light. What new skills can we pick up? Is it time you learned to cook (or maybe to learn to write a trashy romance novel) or took up running? Perhaps it's just a matter of better budgeting or learning to stand up for your needs, but whatever the case, now is the time. 

I'm not great at this. I am envious of people with savings accounts and the ability to tell you where they see themselves in 5 years, but I've decided to learn to make things happen. Even if my creative endeavors are little projects I found on Pinterest or writing more kind notes, it's a start. It's a risk. 

I don't know where I'll be in 5 years, but I can tell you that I hope to have my BA in theology, have attempted to publish a children's book about armadillos, and be able to run up a flight of stairs without wheezing. 

I'm still Nick Miller, and maybe you are too, but this just means I'm lucky in my friendships, I'm witty, and the whole world is open in front of me. Somehow...this doesn't seem so bad anymore. 

In fact, I think this is my jumping off point. So here I go. 

No comments: