Saturday, October 15, 2011

50/50


I am very tired.  It is very late.  This evening made up for a couple of weeks of blahs all in one swift movement.

Tonight I went out with my friends Heather and Morgan.  We met at Red Mango and had delicious frozen yogurt, and then went to see "50/50."

Go see "50/50."  It is easily the best movie I have seen in ages.  Definitely the most real.  Definitely the most hopeful and gracious while dealing with a topic that scares just about all of us I think: cancer.  It is based on a true story.  It is actually based on the writer of the movie's life.  It is brilliant and witty, and it reminded me that even when you don't have a clue how to deal with life...people come through for you.  Just not always who you expected at all.  When it comes out on DVD, I think I am actually going to have to make a point of purchasing it.

After the movie, Morgan had to go home to sleep (she has to be at work at 6), but Heather and I went to Steak & Shake.  I hadn't been there in ages, and we had some tasty dinner and just talked.  About everything and nothing.  We talked about the Catholic church (Heather is Catholic) and we talked about the fact that I don't believe in the Trinity and how exactly that works since I am Protestant.  We talked about the fact that I dated the guys Heather wanted to in high school, and we talked about how it was so great that she never dated them because they would have been just as wrong for her as they were for me.  And I apologized to her for that even though we didn't know each other in high school.  We talked about death and the people we miss.  We talked about how we are both trying  to get back to school in the spring and how scary it is trying to get financial aide and scholarships and money in place.  We talked about how we both need to go to the doctor and we talked about how scared I am of all the testing that I need to have done and that I am afraid they will tell me something is wrong that will keep me from going back to school in the spring.  We talked about how sometimes it feels like we are the only people in the world who are actually trying to maintain purity and not have sex before we are married and how frustrating that is.  We reminded each other to hope.

Oh, and then we got pulled over 3 blocks from my house by the one cop in town that really freaks me out because one of my headlights makes my car look like I am trying to send up the Bat Signal into the clouds...

So it was a slightly skewed ending, but I did walk away from my time with Heather and Morgan feeling better about life.  The movie was inspiring and funny and heartbreaking and beautiful and so full of hope.

I am a mess, but this isn't over yet.

No comments: