Thursday, November 19, 2009

The One Sandwich Rule

Favorite Things of this very moment (10:25 am CST):
  • Audio Books
  • Free MP3 downloads
  • Taeyang & G-Dragon (Hooray Korean pop!)
  • Post-it's
  • Cheap double mocha mix from Aldi's (actually quite tasty)
  • Scented candles
  • "Good Lovin'" by the Rascals (makes me smile every time)

My nights at work often leave me with at least one scrawled set of notes on a post-it, and lately they've been a lot of song titles, to-do lists, and some random ideas that I realize are just bouncing around my head. I use to create stories while I was at work, and lately I've been far busier trying to untangle the mess I've crated of my life.

Sometimes the thoughts and realizations come from years of experience or reflection on my own behavior or perhaps a situation or story that I have been dwelling on, but they always seem new. Strange.

The other night though, I was thinking about how I've been trying to modify my habits in a number of areas in my life for the past few years. I always seem to fail. I think this is because instead of trying to start small and work my way up, I've been trying to accomplish everything at once. If I know anything about myself, I should know better than to try to do too many things at once. I can multi-task, but when you're trying to tweak behaviors, that's probably not the best plan. It definitely isn't for me. I end up feeling overwhelmed and like a failure because I'm spreading my concentration a bit too thin.

This is where the One Sandwich Rule comes in. It's all about a few tiny modifications at a time. If I focus on a few little changes for awhile, it's much easier to master these impulses and get them under control. Once those changes are established, I can move on to new changes. If I succeed, I'll be improving my health and habits one little rule at a time.

I like it.

No comments: