Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tribute to Jay Laurent, an Epic Best Friend





“Let’s start with this statistic: You are delicious. Be brave, my sweet. I know you get lonely. I know you can crave companionship and sex and love so badly that it physically hurts. But I truly believe that the only way you can find out that there’s something better out there is to first believe there’s something better out there. I’ll believe it for you until you’re ready.”
-Greg Behrendt, He’s Just Not That Into You

I love running across quotes that bring me joy. It actually leads me to what I really want to talk about: Jay "Freakin'-Awesome-Best-Friend" Laurent.

Last night, Jay took me to dinner at Alfano's to celebrate my birthday. Item 1: my birthday was in May, but when Jay says he's going to do something like, for instance, take you to dinner to celebrate your birthday, he'll make that happen, even if it's about a month after your birthday. He sticks to his word.

While at dinner, we got into a discussion about people we've dated and relationships in general because of what we're seeing people around us go through. I told him that I frequently wonder if I'll make the same painful mistakes because I feel that I tend to learn the hard way. This freaks me out at times because I don't want to go through the kind of pain and rejection I've gone through before and I sometimes feel I pick idiots to get myself involved in (not you, Ben, if you ever read this...you were all around awesome, I'm talking more of the guys that I get semi-involved in that decide they don't ever want to date me they just want to string me along because they feel they can). Jay told me I am far too hard on myself and that I can't live with a fear of past issues. Besides, those people didn't feel like mistakes at the time, they were people I really cared about and one that I truly loved. It just didn't work out. Item 2: he reminds me that I'm good and that things will work out eventually, even if they don't feel like it from time to time.

Then we watched "Charade" because it's one of my favorite old movies and because he'd never seen it, and he got me a lot of Mt. Dew and a large glass of water while we watched that and then a bunch of comedy stuff on NetFlix (Demetri Martin, Better Off Ted, The IT Crowd...all of which you should probably check out if you haven't before...hilarious stuff). Item 3: gets me caffeine and lets me have my way when I probably don't deserve it (such a lovely best friend type creature).

When I left to come home at roughly midnight:30 (yes, people do say that, somewhere...I think), Jay walked me out to my car because it was dark and late even though he really didn't need to. Item 4: likes to protect me and make me feel safe, even when I would never admit (most of the time) that this makes me feel much better.

In short, Jay is my own personal Greg Behrendt. A friend who reminds me that I'm awesome and am allowed to feel miserable from time to time, but that it will all work out in the end. I hope all of you have people like that in my life.


ps. If I ever get blessed with sons (Please, God), I hope at least one of them is a lot like Jay. Maybe I'll name him Laurent. haha.

No comments: