- Multiple emails from Jay
- Getting birthday wishes
- Being able to use my sunglasses
- Being able to see more than 10 ft
- Coffee with vanilla soy milk, sugar, and cinnamon in it
- John Mayer (in all his various forms)
- Talking to Nikky and having her help me decide on which kind of Milano cookies would work best for my pie-ish-thing recipe
- Justin Masterman putting together a benefit concert for the Callaways (he is a wonder)
- New music
- Sweet/Sappy birthday cards
- Knowing Josh, Jen, Kyle, Angie, and Nathan will be here tomorrow night
- Creating bracelets out of pieces of yarn that are so pretty I can't find a reason to throw them away
- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin (in all it's print and media and take-off forms)
- Collin Firth
- Graph paper notebooks
- The "Twilight" movie trailer (http://www.imdb.com/video/trailer/vi2380464409/)
Today I am 22 years old. I do not feel 22. I feel about 13. I'm still awkward, I'm still socially inept, I'm still single, and I'm still living with my parents.
Perhaps I'm the female version of Wayne Campbell. It's too bad Nikky and I don't live next door to each other, we'd make a great Wayne & Garth pair. (Well, we do anyway, but having the entire state of Indiana between us makes it a little hard to function normally.)
Birthdays are a fickle thing. I like birthdays is some ways. I enjoy being surprised by people's thoughtfulness. I love cake (or pie or whatever substitute we use and stick candles in). I enjoy the well-wishes and the emails and the notes, but they still lack something.
I'm not good with the attention. I don't know what it is, maybe I feel I don't deserve it, or maybe I'm trying hard not to care about it because they never seem that special to me. I've had to share my birthday with a great deal of traveling, weddings, and tragedy over the past several years, not to mention having one of my best friends repeatedly forget my birthday and then always try to buy me off with some gift.
I just wish there was a nice balance. I don't like being fussed over, but I do like feeling special. I don't need anything extravagant, but it is nice to be remembered.
I guess in a lot of ways the attention I've always received on my birthday always seemed kind of fake, and fake is not something I'm real thrilled with.
I feel guilty for even caring it's my birthday this year. I've got several close friends dealing with funerals for close family members this week, and one of my best friends is trying to recover from a broken heart. What is a birthday in comparison to their tragedies?
Again, I say unto you, meh.
And so, I appreciate that kindness of my friends, the gifts, the cards, the notes, and just how generally sweet everyone is. It means a lot, even if I sound like a grouch today. I'm not really, I've been having good things happen and indulging myself a little. Bought myself a little John Mayer Trio and got my eyes checked so I can use my contacts again. Sometimes I forget that I really do have lovely eyes. Muahaha.
Now, if only I could receive the magical powers to play match maker and to heal broken hearts for my birthday. Wouldn't that be lovely? Best birthday gifts ever if I could make everyone around me happy. I think that would make me happy too.
Maybe somewhere, deep down, I am growing up. I guess this is just the beginning of another year for me and we'll have to wait and see...