Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Dangling Earring Principle



This morning as I got ready to go to work I realized I wanted to wear dangling earrings.

To the average woman this might not seem like a weird thing, but I really don't ever wear dangling earrings. It's not that I don't like them. On the contrary, I love dangling earrings. I think they look beautiful and have always envied women that wore them on a regular basis, but I've always felt like they were outside of my realm. That I would look silly wearing them.

This morning I realized that dangling earrings are just like hats: you have to have the confidence in order to pull them off. People really only look silly wearing a hat or dangling earrings or a giant necklace, whatever, when they feel like they look silly. I use to think I looked silly wearing baseball caps (and maybe some people still think I do), but I decided that I liked them and I was going to wear them no matter what. I've been happily wearing my Boston Red Sox cap ever since, and I don't feel silly wearing it. Actually there's a good portion of the time I feel strange for not wearing it.

I went into my room this morning and rummaged through my things and located a pair of earrings I've never worn before. In the past I never would have worn them because they're about and inch and a half long and big enough that you can't miss them. They're gold and have deep blue beads and what looks to be an old Greek coin dangling. I love them. I found them in a store several months back and never had the courage to wear them, so I put them away. Just the other night I found them again, and I was thrilled.

I wore them to work this morning, and though I was afraid someone would point to them and call me a fraud, nothing happened. In fact, it didn't take long before I forgot I was wearing them at all. They just felt like they should be there, and I felt a little extra boost of confidence all day. Like I was more of the beautiful girl I am or something. It may sound cheesy, but it really worked.

Maybe this will expand and I'll find myself a little more confidence in other areas too.

They look great, by the way. I'm going to have to wear them more often.

No comments: